Learn more about The Samaritan Women with this overview video:
The Samaritan Women’s mission is to promote Health, Healing, and Hope in some of the most desperate and dark situations. Our heart is broken for issues such as:
- disrespect for Creation
- the destruction caused by addictions and despair
- division and disunity across the Church
- exploitation of women and children.
Founded in 2007, The Samaritan Women (TSW) is a Christian nonprofit organization whose mission is fulfilled through four ministry efforts:
(1) operating a transitional residence program for women recovering from trauma and trafficking that emphasizes life-rebuilding and reconciliation;
(2) offering a vocational program in culinary arts with an innovative “from seed to table” curriculum;
(3) managing a large urban farm that grows produce to support our vocational and therapeutic program; and
(4) leading a state-wide social justice initiative against human trafficking.
Origin of the Name
While the Good Samaritan story (Luke 10) is worthy one, we take our name from the story in John 4, where Jesus encounters the Samaritan Woman at the Well. This exchange between the Lord Jesus and this ostracized, isolated woman (with a past) offers instruction to us on how we are to relate to one another. In this story, Jesus defies all social norms and engages in both personal and theological conversation with a woman whom others have clearly rejected. And even though He knew “all that [she] ever did,” He still received her with nonjudgment and compassion. As a result of this conversation, the woman is transformed. She returns to her community–the same one that rejected her–and ends up becoming the very first disciple. Because of her testimony, many came to believe.
That is how we aspire to model our ministry: to take the stance that regardless of who you are or what you may have done, you should be recieved with nonjudgment and compassion. And to believe that through a transformational relationship with Christ, your past is no longer who you are and you can be used for AMAZING things in Him.